Veterinary Specialty Center of Tucson Hospital
Finally, there is a specialty veterinary hospital that truly deserves to be called “special.” Ouraward winning design, 22,000 square foot hospital is setting a new standard for veterinary care. Every element of VSCT, from the light-filled spacious lobbies and outdoor garden space to our technologically advanced MRI, spiral CT scanner, and digital radiography suites was designed with comfort and care in mind. (Notice the special “pet-friendly” windows in the exam room doors.) A large 125 seat auditorium provides space to foster an environment of education and development to the veterinary professional and pet-owning community. Two warmly designed comfort rooms, one with an attached memorial garden provide a peaceful, home-like environment for visitations or saying goodbye to a beloved pet. Below are some fun and interesting facts about our state-of-the-art facility:
- VSCT opened to serve southern Arizona’s pets, pet owners and primary care veterinarians on July 19, 2004 with 10,000 square feet offering multi-specialty medical, surgical and 24/7 emergency services. Our building expansion, completed in November of 2010 brought our total hospital square footage to just over 32,000 square feet making us the largest multi-specialty veterinary hospital under one roof in the state of Arizona.
- VSCT has 29 veterinarians and 55 support staff and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 day a year – we never shut down. VSCT’s doctors are here for you and your pet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year because we reside locally, are not outside consultants, and do not work in multiple hospitals or locations. As such, we offer a greater variety of board-certified specialty veterinarians compared to any other specialty hospital in southern Arizona.
- Our hospital includes a 56 kW solar (photovoltaic) energy system which produces up to 40% of our current energy demands making VSCT the first multi-specialty emergency veterinary center in the state to utilize a renewable energy source in an effort to reduce our environmental impact.
- Our 32,000 square foot, two-level hospital has:
- 16 patient examination/consultation rooms all equipped with computers for retrieval of patient information and presentation of digital diagnostic images (x-rays, ultrasounds, CT and MRI scans)
- 4 surgical suites with viewing windows
- A separate dental/oral surgical suite
- Two digital radiology suites, two ultrasound suites and dedicated rooms for our in-house MRI (the first and only one for pets outside of Phoenix) and in-house helical CT scanner.
- A large central ICU with in-house laboratory, oxygen cages, and a respiratory ventilator for pets.
- Dedicated patient wards for cats only, small dogs, and large runs for large dogs, along with an isolation ward to quarantine pets with contagious illnesses.
- I-131 (radioactive iodine) suite for treatment of hyperthyroidism in cats complete with observation cameras.